Colonial Gothic Roleplaying Game

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Cloak-n-Dagger

Colonial Gothic Roleplaying Game

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:38 pm

I was down in Orlando this past Monday and Tuesday for work, luckily for me the hotel where I was staying was between two game shops and a Barnes and Nobles. I took some time on Sunday to visit the local Cool Stuff Inc store nearby, but the RPG section didn't have anything aside from the more popular games like 5e and PF. They had a nice selection of board games and card games but the one I tried to find, One Deck Dungeon, wasn't around. On Monday I afternoon I ran down to another local game shop, Sci-fi City Games. SCG had a nice selection of current RPGs, along with board games, card games, and other gaming related stuff.

While looking through their selection I ran across on game, Colonial Gothic, that grabbed my attention after reading through a few pages. I decided to pick up two of the books, the core rules and another book titled Settings. It reminded me a lot of LexOccultum which I've kickstarted, but still a ways off before anything get delivered. Where LexOccultum takes place in Europe, Colonial Gothic is set in the New World after the colonists begin to settle.

The system is 2d12, roll, add modifiers, meet or beat a target score. They have a full length adventure, Flames of Freedom: Beginnings, that I will probably pick up to add to the other two books. All in all I think it will make a nice addition to my small collection.

Here's a blurb for CG:
The Drums of War Sound

The great nations of Europe struggle for control of the New World. Native Americans struggle for their land and their lives. Planters and traders struggle for wealth and position. A new nation struggles to be born.

But look beneath the surface.

Monsters stalk the woods. Angry ghosts and spiteful witches plague the villagers. Explorers search for lost cities and fabled treasures. Ancient evils are awakened. There is a secret history, and this history deals with events that took place in the shadows. These events played a role in the history of the American colonies and the Revolution that few know about.

The truth is hidden, and plots are afoot. Events are moving behind the scenes, and lurking in the shadows are agents with their own agenda.

All have read about the founding of America. This history shows what led to the American Revolution and the cry for independence. The history is clear, and there is no real dispute over these events. You know the history.

Or do you?

There is a secret history that deals with events taking place in the shadows. These events played a role in the history of the American colonies and the Revolution few know about. From the crowded streets of New York City, to the deep country trails of Georgia, the shadows teem with enemies of conflicting agendas.

War is coming. The Siege of Boston is lifted, and General Washington is leading the Continental Army to New York. The enemies are many, but as to who they are, you do not know.

Colonial Gothic is a supernatural historical horror roleplaying game set during the dawn of the American Revolution.

Revised, rewritten and redesigned Colonial Gothic Rulebook 3rd Edition provides players and Gamemasters what they need to run adventures during the American Revolution. Everything you need to run a historical supernatural horror game is found in this book: rules covering the use of magic and alchemy, in-depth information on the life and times of the colonies, a bestiary of monsters pulled straight from the period; the possibilities are endless. Using a fast and simple mechanic, setting up and running a game of Colonial Gothic has never been easier. Plus, this 3rd Edition Rulebook is fully compatible with all previous Colonial Gothic adventures and source books.

Now the time has come.

War is here.

Choose your side.
FullSizeRender(1).jpg
IMG_1608.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:39 pm

FullSizeRender(2).jpg
IMG_1609.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm

That's a cool looking and sounding game - I'd give that a try if I had the opportunity!