Bree - The One Ring RPG, An Excerpt

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Cloak-n-Dagger

Bree - The One Ring RPG, An Excerpt

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:30 pm

I have the PDF for the newest supplement coming out for The One Ring, Bree, which centers of course on the town of Bree which is most well known as the location of The Prancing Pony. Cubicle 7 does a great job with their products, the publications they put out for the game are top notch. The other day I started reading though the PDF and the description used in the early chapter really evoked some good imagery in my head for the area of Bree, so much so I really wish I had a campaign to run using TOR.
breehill.PNG
“Bree” means hill, in the tongue of the first men to live here. Bree-hill is not a remarkable hill by any means. It rises gently out of the rolling downs, carrying woods on its back to the east, but its south and west sides are cloaked in thick grasses. The hill is mostly chalky earth, but there is a small quarry on the south side, where the folk of Bree obtain good stone for building.

There was a watchtower atop the hill, long ago, but nothing remains of it now. Even without the tower, an observer on top of Bree-hill can see Weathertop in the distance to the east, and the Great Road with its gentle bend south to avoid the perils of the Midgewater Marshes. To the west, the lines of the Greenway can still be seen, graven onto the land, passing through the farms and pastures of the Breeland and out into the wild to the south.

North, too, runs the Greenway – the City Road, some in Bree still call it, although the city it once led to is gone now. Further west the East Road unfolds like a dark ribbon beyond the crossings where it meets the Greenway, bordering the perils of the haunted Barrow-downs and beyond, the choking thickets of the Old Forest.

Bree itself lies south-west of the hill, close to the Greenway crossing. Staddle is on the far side of the hill, on its southeastern slope, and Combe beyond that to the north, in a deep dark valley. The Chetwood grows on the northeastern side of the valley, spreading out and turning wilder and more tangled as it runs north and east. Many paths lead through the woods to Archet.

Bree’s farms are tightly clustered around the hill. The soil of the Bree-land is rich and dark, good for root vegetables and mushrooms in particular. Further from the town proper, sheep, cows and goats graze on the rolling hills and crop the grass that grows over ancient roads and tombs. There are a few outlying farmhouses studded across the swathes of territory that make up the greater Bree-land, but the Bree-landers generally mistrust anyone who lives outside the villages, and consider them to be strange and a little dangerous.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 am

That looks like some John Hodgson art if my eyes are not cheated by some spell. Loved his paintings for the Dragon Warriors game.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:14 am

Ancalagon wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 am
That looks like some John Hodgson art if my eyes are not cheated by some spell. Loved his paintings for the Dragon Warriors game.
Yep, it is. He's the art director for all of the products for TOR. Here are a couple other pieces from the Bree supplement by him.
bree1.PNG
bree2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Pretty sweet! Love the art. Nice post...

Personally, but for no reason in particular, I've had virtually no exposure to games set in Tolkien's Middle Earth, and have tended to feel strangely uneasy about gaming in that setting, as if it would be on par with gambling in a church. I only recently realised this curious and subconscious conviction, which I think has more to do with my emotional attachment to Tolkien's world as sacrosanct as opposed to any actual deficiency in the game products.

As a general note of interest: in the Scots tongue, "Brae" [pro: BRAY] also is a common reference to a hill, eg the Braes of Balquidder, from the Irish/Gaelic Bre (with a little accent mark over the "e").

It occurred to me tonight after reading this OP, that it would be fun to explore fitting TOR's Bree into my proto-Celtic game setting where I have tentatively placed a settlement called Bre (with a little accent mark over the "e"), after the Irish version of the town Bray north of Dublin. I imagine if you said "Bree" with an Irish accent, it might come out as "Bray"...?

Cheers for the post,
Wesley
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Deil the Yin wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 pm
<snip>
As a general note of interest: in the Scots tongue, "Brae" [pro: BRAY] also is a common reference to a hill, eg the Braes of Balquidder, from the Irish/Gaelic Bre (with a little accent mark over the "e").

It occurred to me tonight after reading this OP, that it would be fun to explore fitting TOR's Bree into my proto-Celtic game setting where I have tentatively placed a settlement called Bre (with a little accent mark over the "e"), after the Irish version of the town Bray north of Dublin. I imagine if you said "Bree" with an Irish accent, it might come out as "Bray"...?
I really enjoy your insights into pronunciations in the Scots tongue and Irish/Gaelic! IMO, real world detail of that sort is much more flavorful than anything made up by gaming companies where it is too common to include five or six apostrophes in something's name.

I can definitely see including a town like Bree in my Coeur de Lion idea or Greyhawk if I ever get back to running that campaign.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Deil the Yin wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 pm
Personally, but for no reason in particular, I've had virtually no exposure to games set in Tolkien's Middle Earth, and have tended to feel strangely uneasy about gaming in that setting, as if it would be on par with gambling in a church. I only recently realised this curious and subconscious conviction, which I think has more to do with my emotional attachment to Tolkien's world as sacrosanct as opposed to any actual deficiency in the game products.
From everything I've read, review wise, about this RPG, this game does very well in reflecting the feeling of adventuring in Tolkiens world.

Also, while we're at it, here are the latest acquisitions for me with regards to TOR, I think there are only two books left for me to grab and I'll have the full collection, The Darkening of Mirkwood campaign and Bree when the printed book is available.
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG