RPG: What do you look for?

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Cloak-n-Dagger

RPG: What do you look for?

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:12 am

As a related topic to my previous post, I'm curious what aspects players look for when playing a game like (A)D&D.

What makes it fun? What doesn't make it fun? Are fewer or more options a good thing or bad? Should mechanics be simple or slightly more complex? Which rules seem to work and which ones don't?

Personally I like the idea of keeping game mechanics simple, but I like the idea of having more player options as long as it doesn't cause overwhelming bloat. Its a fine line to get that perfect balance so that the game is fun to play and DM.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:12 am

Things that help make it fun:
A mix of good people playing the game!
Clearly written rules that make sense and fairly adjudicated by the DM.
A few options are good (subclasses, optional systems that work)
Having to earn those level advancements!

Not Fun
Having a "bad apple" or player with incompatible style at the game table.
Poor DM who coddles players and runs Monty Haul style
All post-TSR versions of D&D, Pathfinder
Endless splatbooks
Dense and complex mechanics - I just don't have the time or energy anymore to learn stuff like Phoenix Command
Static initiative

Should mechanics be simple or slightly more complex?
Simple is fun but a little extra can be, too. E.g weapon adjustment v armor type, enforcing spell material components, alternate casting systems, armor as damage reduction, different initiative systems

More to come...