Crypts and Things Remastered

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Cloak-n-Dagger

Crypts and Things Remastered

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:03 pm

I saw via Google+ that they are taking pre-orders for C&TR. According to the website (linked HERE) it looks like the book should be coming out soon. I know at least Ancalagon got in on the Kickstarter, perhaps this is the light at the end of the tunnel.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:49 pm

Everyone knows the Trolls are slow at completing Kickstarters but D101 Games disappointed me on the time it has taken so far. IIRC its pushing 1.5 years to reorganize the existing book and add 100 new pages of content. I backed it on 20-Mar-15 and it successfully funded on 30-Mar-15. This is a gaming book... not 1,000 page dense writing like Game of Thrones. I think I'm done with kickstarting any projects.

My disappointment with the time required notwithstanding, I am definitely looking forward to the C&T Remastered.

Captain Blood got to play in a C&T game a couple of years back and seemed to have a good time with it. Maybe he'll chime in with his experience...

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:57 am

Crypts and Things is a lot of fun. It has a lot of fun mechanics. Everyone being able to sneak attack was my favorite. I was able to play through a full campaign as a wizard that culminated in the PCs "Summoning The Kindly Ones" to fight off the Avatar of a demon god that was going to destroy their city as it had done to 5 others already. It's a straight up swords and sorcery medieval style RPG but with a focus on the gritty and dirty. I think describing it as a higher magic version of Astonishing Sorcerers & Swordsmen of Hyperborea is probably right, but I've never really played that system so I can't be sure.

Niels, the GM for that game, kept a pretty good log. Some of it was written after a significant delay and is missing some details, but the majority is a good record of what happened. It's available for reading here: http://barbariansofprovo.blogspot.com/2 ... ter-1.html

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Crypts & Things Remastered is just about ready for the release of the finished book! I hope the wait has been worth it.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Yeah for real, that thing better be a work of art with zero grammar, spelling, or editing mistakes. Let us know what you think after you get it.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:06 am

Should have the book in a week or two.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:57 am

I noticed that the PDF for C&T:R was on DrivethruRPG. I took a minute to read over the sample file and already discovered a typo.

In the section for Creating a Character, number 4: Choose a Class has the following text:
There are nine Character Classes: Barbarian, Beast Hybrid, Disciple, Elemenalist, Fighter, Lizard Man, Thief, and Serpent Noble, Sorcerer.
It should read:
There are nine Character Classes: Barbarian, Beast Hybrid, Disciple, Elemenalist, Fighter, Lizard Man, Thief, Serpent Noble and Sorcerer.
Maybe they caught this and corrected it prior to printing, but you'll have to see when you get the hard copy. As it stands right now, it reads as if one of the classes is a Serpent Noble Sorcerer.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:I noticed that the PDF for C&T:R was on DrivethruRPG. I took a minute to read over the sample file and already discovered a typo.

In the section for Creating a Character, number 4: Choose a Class has the following text:
There are nine Character Classes: Barbarian, Beast Hybrid, Disciple, Elemenalist, Fighter, Lizard Man, Thief, and Serpent Noble, Sorcerer.
It should read:
There are nine Character Classes: Barbarian, Beast Hybrid, Disciple, Elemenalist, Fighter, Lizard Man, Thief, Serpent Noble and Sorcerer.
Maybe they caught this and corrected it prior to printing, but you'll have to see when you get the hard copy. As it stands right now, it reads as if one of the classes is a Serpent Noble Sorcerer.
"Enough is enough! I have had it with these MFin' snakes on this MFin' plane!!" - Samual L. Jackson

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:I noticed that the PDF for C&T:R was on DrivethruRPG. I took a minute to read over the sample file and already discovered a typo.

It should read:
There are nine Character Classes: Barbarian, Beast Hybrid, Disciple, Elemenalist, Fighter, Lizard Man, Thief, Serpent Noble, and Sorcerer.
Hmmm... I see you're not a fan of the Oxford Comma.
FTFY :D

Sbaldrick

Post by Sbaldrick » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:14 pm

SBaldrick chiming in. I am also the aforementioned Niels who was Captain Blood's GM that ran the Crypts and Things campaign that he participated in. I was part of the Kickstarter and I do have a copy of it but I have yet to really go through it. However, I did do a one shot with the Beta set of the rules though and there are some differences.
Saving Throws are still there but they are purely as a skill check mechanism. The "saving throw" mechanic has been replaced by the Luck attribute. For example, if you want to avoid dying from poison, you would rule under luck as opposed to rolling a saving throw. Your luck attribute goes down as you use it but it regenerates although I don't quite recall if it is a daily thing or a session/adventure thing.
In the first version of Crypts and Things White Magic was the safe form of magic. Now, Grey Magic is the safest type of magic although it still has a cost. Casting White Magic can now draw the unwanted attention of Outer Things. The Magician Class is now the Sorcerer Class.
The default setting of Zarth has been expanded and with it, so have the background/event options for the characters to match the regions of Zarth that they came from. Life Events was one of the cooler things about the original and I like the expansion of more options.
I would like to get another game of it going but finding folks willing to play games other than D&D 5th, Pathfinder or Stars Wars is a bit difficult.