Call of Cthulhu

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Ancalagon

Call of Cthulhu

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Call of Cthulhu (COC), now up to its 7th edition, is a great game... with the right mix of players. In my opinion, the out-of-work comedian types and players uncomfortable with getting into character would detract from a horror themed game.

I've played in several one-shot COC sessions at a few game sessions and had some really great experiences.

No one I know in my neck of the woods plays COC. It might just be one of the games I put on my list to possibly demo one of these years.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:11 pm

My second favorite RPG of all time. I'm currently in a quandary as to whether I want to pick up the the newest edition in print along with the new Delta Green. There's quite a bit available for CoC outside of Chaosium, too. Cubicle 7 has it's World War Cthulhu line which takes the Mythos into the early World War eras. Modiphius has it's Achtung! Cthulhu which is another take on WW era CoC involving lots of Nazis alongside the Mythos monsters. CoC is definitely my go to for horror gaming.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:11 pm

I've read that Chaosium is supposed to be gearing up a 2nd Edition of Cthulhu Dark Ages set around the year 950 CE in England. If that is true, I will be picking up that one!

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:48 am

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:Cubicle 7 has it's World War Cthulhu line which takes the Mythos into the early World War eras. Modiphius has it's Achtung! Cthulhu which is another take on WW era CoC involving lots of Nazis alongside the Mythos monsters.
Sounds like some Nazi Occult/opening to Hellboy goodness.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Versidious wrote:
Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:Cubicle 7 has it's World War Cthulhu line which takes the Mythos into the early World War eras. Modiphius has it's Achtung! Cthulhu which is another take on WW era CoC involving lots of Nazis alongside the Mythos monsters.
Sounds like some Nazi Occult/opening to Hellboy goodness.
Yep, that's pretty much exactly what it is. Lots of good stuff there.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Sbaldrick

Post by Sbaldrick » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:57 pm

I ran a one shot of Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition over the weekend. I used the Free RPG offering from last year titled "The Derelict". The story is that the characters are on a yacht traveling from Boston to Liverpool. Along the way, they encounter a refrigeration cargo ship (a reefer) stranded on an ice burg. Due to maritime law, the folks on the yacht are obligated to investigate and render assistance. It all goes downhill from there.
The group I ran it with were a group that was used to AD&D, 5th Edition and Mathfinder...I mean Pathfinder and it showed at first. When the Ex-MI6 agent heard something destroying the communication array on the yacht, he of course investigated. He witnessed an invisible creature tearing about the communication array and decided to shoot it. He got lucky and hit it with a round from his .45. That succeeded in pissing of the monster which then proceeded to rip him half. After that, most of the other characters were more cautious.
The group of characters did manage to prevail in the end but not before 4 out of 6 of them were dead and one of the survivors was driven temporarily insane. I had a few NPCs on hand (Yacht first mate and a Coast Guard Officer that was rescued by the characters) on hand for replacement characters. I used the sound track from John Carpenter's "The Thing" and it was perfect. I helped build the sense of fear and paranoia that I was going for. There were even a few "Game over man!" moments as well in honor of the late Bill Paxton who was one of my favorite actors of all time.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:47 pm

That sounds like a great CoC session! And let me add a "Game over! Game over, man!" for Bill Paxton.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Sbaldrick wrote: That succeeded in pissing of the monster which then proceeded to rip him half. After that, most of the other characters were more cautious.
If I were a part of the latter characters, "being more cautious" would have been a serious understatement. Lol. Sounds like a great game was definitely had.

grodog

Post by grodog » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 pm

CoC is definitely in my top 4 RPGs of all time, but which spot is which is always hard for me to say. (The other 3, on most days, are AD&D 1e, Ars Magica, and probably Blue Planet, but that last slot could be Paranoia or Amber or WFRPG 1e or Fading Suns or something else depending on what's been percolating in my backbrain for the previous few months).

I haven't picked up CoC 7th edition and could be curious to get your feedback on it if you have? I've not yet read Matthew Pook's reviews of it yet, @ http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... first.html and http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... nd_31.html (mostly because I've simply not considered picking up the rules yet, but Matthew's reviews a generally excellent if you're not familiar with them).

Jon Hershberger (my business partner @ BBP) was able to snag a copy of The Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion at GenCon this year, and I've been prepping to run this campaign since I was an undergrad, so perhaps I'll manage to pull it off before I die now, with 700+ page book for additional guidance and inspiration ;) I have to decide if I want to run it as a traditional 1920s CoC game or to amp it up by running it Delta Green style. Both options are good in my head, so far....

Allan.

PS - just saw the link in your .sig @ DF Jay, which is how I popped over here :D

PPS - is my standard .sig OK, or should I tweak it for here?
grodog
----
Allan Grohe
Editor and Project Manager
Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site
https://grodog.blogspot.com/

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Hey Allan and welcome to our small abode in cyberspace.

I'm still tossing around the idea of picking up 7th Edition so no feedback yet, I've read the good and the bad points that many CoC fans have had and I'm staring at my 5.5 edition books here on my desk wondering if I really want to push those aside for the newer model. If Chaosium plans to push out or reprint some of their older adventures for 7E I'd probably be sold pretty quick. I'll have to make time to read over those reviews.

I've not played in MoN, but I've heard a lot of good things about it, along with Beyond the Mountains of Madness and Horror on the Orient Express. Unfortunately, no one in the area that I know is much into running CoC so if it were to happen I'd probably have to run it myself and find some willing players.

On a side note, if you enjoy Ars Magica, then you should hit James up, he's also a huge fan of the game. I've never played myself.

PS. Your sig is fine, no problem here.