5th Edition D&D???

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Deil the Yin

5th Edition D&D???

Post by Deil the Yin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:10 pm

I've been seeing Troll Lord [/url]Games put out some of their stuff for "5th Edition"...

and I can't seem to figure out where this aberration falls in the Dungeons&Dragons family. It is seemingly newly published from WotC, but I'm getting the impression it is simply the republishing of a TSR version, maybe?

Anyone have a clearer picture of this or even played it?

Cheers,
Wesley

Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:50 pm

It is my understanding that TLG is just converting their C&C modules to the other system to try and expand its customer base.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:20 pm

Deil the Yin wrote:and I can't seem to figure out where this aberration falls in the Dungeons&Dragons family. It is seemingly newly published from WotC, but I'm getting the impression it is simply the republishing of a TSR version, maybe?

Anyone have a clearer picture of this or even played it?
You're pretty spot on with 5th Edition, Wes. WotC decided to take the frame work of earlier editions, most closely 2nd edition, and tack on some variations of other editions like skills and feats from 3E (as options) and even included some spell related mechanics for casters, similar to 4E which allowed casters to have "at-will" spells that they can cast any time.

There is also a smidgen of "narrative rpg design" thrown into the mix using actual mechanics for backgrounds and group inspiration.

It seems to be THE edition right now for the majority of D&D players. I've heard mixed reviews, some people claim it's the best edition since TSR, others say there's issues, especially with higher levels and the balance of monsters/characters as far as power levels go.

I've read enough of it and seen enough gabbing from people online to know it's just not for me. I much prefer TSR's editions or some of the OSR stuff I've seen. Many companies are putting out material for 5e, similar to what happened back when 3e and the Open Gaming License was around. Troll Lord is expanding their material to 5e like many other companies, just looking to pull in other revenue from players playing that system.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:28 pm

No wonder I couldn't figure it out... I appreciate the fill-in of detail, Jay.
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!