Growing the White Box-esque collection

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Cloak-n-Dagger

Growing the White Box-esque collection

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:59 am

Having now picked up White Box and gaining an appreciation for the minimal rules systems, I've done some reading of other OD&D-based games available. Found a few I thought looked good, so I went to Lulu and picked up some printed copies to add to my collection.
WARRIORS OF THE RED PLANET is a game of classic pulp, of “Sword & Planet” science-fantasy. If your tastes run towards flashing swords and pistols against a backdrop of alien vistas, soaring airships, and lost civilizations on far-away worlds then this is the game for you.

COLONIAL TROOPERS is a science fiction RPG compatible with the original fantasy roleplaying game and subsequent editions, and other “OSR” games that follow in the mold of the original. If your tastes run towards battle hardened combat armor, some attention to real physics, and explorations of just what it is to be human, you’ve found the right book. As in the fiction of the above writers, the players are confronted with an unforgiving universe full of wonders and deadly quirks of science ready to astound and enchant, and cull the unwary.

GUARDIANS is a super hero retro-clone compatible with the original fantasy roleplaying game and subsequent editions, and other “OSR” games that follow in the mould of the original game. If your tastes run towards super-powered four-color heroes and villains you’ve found the right book. In a tradition inspired by the psionic abilities of Eldritch Wizardry and the mutants of Metamorphosis Alpha or Gamma World, even a first level Guardians character begins with mighty powers!
original.jpg
Whether a noble Star Knight protecting the universe from galactic tyranny, a hot shot pilot in the cockpit of the fastest stunt fighter in space, or an enigmatic Alien Mystic, classic science fiction adventure awaits you with White Star: White Box Science Fiction Roleplaying.

Based on Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox, White Star brings all the simple elegance of WhiteBox out of the dungeon and into the stars! This complete roleplaying game includes seven new classes as well as rules for advanced technology, laser weaponry, space combat, and so much more!
Whitestar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Picked up a couple extra expanded games to go along with my "white-box-esque" collection. I think they speak for themselves.
IMG_0614.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Sbaldrick

Post by Sbaldrick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Apparently there is a Galaxy Edition of White Star coming out.

http://halflingsluck.blogspot.com/2017/ ... -2017.html

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat May 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Sbaldrick wrote:Apparently there is a Galaxy Edition of White Star coming out.

http://halflingsluck.blogspot.com/2017/ ... -2017.html
Very nice, will have to keep an eye out for it.

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 am

Ha! When I first read the web/blog name, I thought it said "Halflings Suck"... Blah-har-har! Funny cause it's true?
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Sbaldrick

Post by Sbaldrick » Wed May 10, 2017 12:40 pm

This actually one of my favorite of the White Box variants.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/177622/Th ... --Wizardry

From the same people that brought us "White Star" and "Halfings suck." I have a pipe dream of running it with Keep on The Borderlands.

My other favorite White Box variant is "Crypts and Things" which I played with Captain Blood during his brief time in Utah.

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Pretty sweet looking publication, Hero's Journey (and Keep on the Borderlands is one of my faves fo sho), but I'm at a loss as to the "White Box" reference? Can someone expound on that? I'm a slow reader. And lazy.

Just take a deep breath, Jay, and get it over with... Seriously. Work with me here, people.

-W
Sbaldrick wrote:This actually one of my favorite of the White Box variants.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/177622/Th ... --Wizardry

From the same people that brought us "White Star" and "Halfings suck." I have a pipe dream of running it with Keep on The Borderlands.

My other favorite White Box variant is "Crypts and Things" which I played with Captain Blood during his brief time in Utah.
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Sbaldrick

Post by Sbaldrick » Thu May 11, 2017 4:47 pm

The best way that I can think of describing "White Box" is that is a retro-clone of the original White Box release of D&D that predates even 1st Edition AD&D. There are a number of versions of it out there from various publishers such as Black Blade Publishing and Frog God Games.