The Dark Eye - German Fantasy RPG

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Cloak-n-Dagger

The Dark Eye - German Fantasy RPG

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:46 pm

Not sure if any of you are familiar with The Dark Eye RPG, it's a German originated game that kicked off back in the 80s when D&D was so popular. The original English translated products weren't very good, from what I've heard, the system was a real mess. Last year there was a Kickstarter for a new version of the game and I almost went in on it, but at the time I had other interests that took priority so I passed it by. Apparently the new version cleans up a lot of the mess and actually turned out to be a pretty good game. One aspect I like, is that the setting is considered low-fantasy compared to the typical D&D or similar fantasy settings.

Lately I've seen it on the shelves in some of the local shops, I picked up a solo module titled Vampire of Havena which I sent to Quinn for a Christmas gift. The solo module teaches you the basics of the game as you play through it, similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure or Fighting Fantasy book.

After reading over the PDF for the core book and thumbing through the first group module that is currently released, I decided to pick both of them, plus the Bestiary from Amazon with some gift cards I received for Christmas. The Bestiary is still processing but I have the Core book and the module.

It's an interesting system, which reminds me of HarnMaster, in that skill rolls are not based solely on one attribute, but three. In HarnMaster, you make one roll, which is based on an average skill score from three attributes. In TDE, you have to make three rolls based on the three attributes tied to the skill.

There's a free Quickstart Rules PDF on the main webpage for anyone interested in checking it out: LINK
darkeye.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Interesting! Especially the "low fantasy" aspect which continues to tug at my imagination.

I bought a copy of the previous version of The Dark Eye which was "priced to move" at a game shoppe we frequented back in south GA. The system was pretty crunchy, all over the place, and too much like TETSNBN for my liking so I never did anything with it. Lemme know if you decide to give it a spin with a demo or if its more suited to mining for ideas.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Got my Bestiary a while back, nice looking book to go along with the core. Looking forward to the world setting book.
darkeyebest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Those are some sweet looking books! Have you had a chance to explore more of the system and get a feel for its playability and overall crunchiness?

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:18 pm

I have actually. I took some time to read through parts of the core book here and there, but overall there is crunch, comparable to something from the d20 era of games or the newer Hackmaster.

The Dark Eye utilizes advantages/disadvantage, skills, and special abilities which are tied to skills and purchased by spending points for customizing characters. Combat has critical success and botch tables that are used depending on rolls.

Up until recently, I've put off wanting to learn or run anything other than games with simple systems, but even though TDE has a crunchier customization for characters, the mechanics are still fundamentally simple and only require d20 rolls to resolve. I'll post some excerpts in the near future so you can see what some of it is like.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:43 pm

I took a trip down to JAX this afternoon and on the shelf at the game shop, I ran across a new printed "digest size" format for the core book. The cover (retail) price on this was $19.99 and after I picked up a copy and flipped through, I was seriously impressed.

The book is fully in color, just like the original, retains the same page layouts, the font is smaller of course but easily readable, the pages remain the same (400+), and is softcover as opposed to the main hard cover. But for the price you're paying, it's a fantastic deal, assuming you like the game and are looking for a copy. The hard cover runs $49.99 if you buy it at retail cover price, but for $30 less, getting the digest print is pretty amazing. I went head an picked up a copy of the digest print, just to keep for carrying around or travel. Below are some images for comparison:
tde_ds3.jpg
tde_ds2.jpg
tde_ds1.png

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:51 pm

Most kosher!

Between The Dark Eye and White Box yer gonna be pretty busy breaking us in on the new games at OmaCon :lol:

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Ancalagon wrote:Most kosher!

Between The Dark Eye and White Box yer gonna be pretty busy breaking us in on the new games at OmaCon :lol:
And don't forget about Shadow of the Demonlord, I haven't talked a great deal about it much, but as of right now, I've purchased every PDF and every print product Robert has put out for it. The latest supplement is called Godless, it takes the gothic, dark-fantasy setting and tosses it into the apocalyptic future (i.e. Road Warrior/Mad Max) style. It's pretty damn awesome.

One of my favorite pics from Godless:
Capture1.PNG

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:17 am

Okay I'm in for this game. Post apocalyptic clown's wielding machine guns sounds like it's own RPG title.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:Most kosher!

And don't forget about Shadow of the Demonlord, I haven't talked a great deal about it much, but as of right now, I've purchased every PDF and every print product Robert has put out for it. <snip>
Oh yeeaaahhh... you're just gonna have to demo SotDL, too. ;)