Adapting WFRP2e for the War of the Roses era

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Ancalagon

Adapting WFRP2e for the War of the Roses era

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:45 pm

You guys know I'm an amateur history buff who has been working on a campaign setting for the late 1190s in England. I'd given thought to adapting WFRP as the system for that setting but the technological and cultural differences made me think it would be waaaay too much work to do so.

But then the era of England's War of the Roses popped into my head. Alester and I discussed it briefly via instant messenger while at work and WFRP2e would be much easier to adapt to that time period. Think about it. Black powder weapons, all the armor types, the various mundane careers are available... just remove non-human races, convert Sigmar to Christianity, all of the Chaos baddies like Tzeentch and Nurgle would become demons or devils under Satan, make Skaven be the unseen spooky stories (plague moved about via rats, right?) they should be rather than popping up in every other scenario for all to see, scale beastmen waaaay back, etc. I really think adapting WFRP2e for the War of the Roses era could work.

But before I give serious thought to tackling this idea as a project, I'm interested in seeing what the forthcoming Zweihander RPG has to offer for use as a system for a historical / mythic Europe setting.

Any thoughts / opinions?

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:02 am

Zweihander would work just as well, I'm sure. Under the hood, the systems remain the same, the difference will be in options, tables, expanded info that the writers have created.

If I didn't post this previously, the early release PDF is available on RPG now for free: LINK

If you have a DriveThruRPG or RPGNow account you can log in and download to check it out.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Fri May 19, 2017 8:40 pm

A few of the members of my current gaming group are getting together tomorrow for me to introduce them to WFRP2e. I'll run them through character creation and run a short demo for them to play with the system a bit. Said it before and I'll say it again - I love this game system!

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Sun May 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Seems the War of the Roses might be a bit too early still considering the tech levels, but I imagine it could work quite well. The 16th and 17th centuries always matched most with WFRP2e in my head. Let us know how the test session goes. I loved playing this system the few times we did it. I was always sorry we never played more of it.

Sbaldrick

Post by Sbaldrick » Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 am

Regardless of which system you use, this would be an excellent aid for any campaign set in the War of the Roses. http://www.dcrouzet.net/heroes-witchery/?page_id=206

Dark Albion: The Rose War is a 275 pages long, OSR RPG campaign setting, set in a fantasy medieval England during the War of the Roses (15th century). Think England + sorcery + demons and fairies + some fantasy twists to the world. 80% of the book is system neutral, so can be used with most role-playing games. Nonetheless, this book is designed with OSR games in mind, and will run best with Fantastic Heroes & Witchery of course, as well as similar games such as Osric, Swords & Wizardry, etc., and also the 5th edition of the most popular fantasy RPG of course! Yet, if you intend to run an Albion game with FH&W, there is a 20 pages appendix at the end of the book that proposes 8 classes specifically designed for Dark Albion, plus rules and guidelines relative to the setting.

Note otherwise that layout and art have been given great care (as you can see below) to make the most visually pleasing book as possible: this means 10 hex-maps, and two illustrations per pages on most of the 275 pages!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Dark Albion: The Rose War, Grim Fantasy England in the 15th Century is an absolutely gorgeous book. The layout is spectacular and the profuse use of art make sit a real pleasure on the eyes. There is a lot of solid content in the book as well.

In my opinion, Dark Albion's biggest failing for use as a excellent aid is how it handles religion. In 15th century England (and Europe) there was The Church. It's power and influence were in all aspects of society, from peasant to monarch, slaves, merchants, villages, towns, cities, academia and medicine (such as they were). The Catholic Church took a very dim view of anyone and anything that might be considered a threat to its authority, influence, and power. The institution of The Church, warts and all (persecution, torture, murder, greed, selling indulgences, etc. etc. etc.) would be fascinating to include in a War of the Roses campaign. However, Dark Albion jettisoned The Church and replaced it with a homebrewed "Church of the Unconquered Sun" which sounds completely lame. I don't know if the author wanted to avoided any bad press by including the actual Church in his book but I think it was an egregious error to discard such an enormous opportunity for a Grim Fantasy England in the 15th Century.

With that being said, the book still has its uses. I just think it could've been so much more!