Runequest

A forum for discussing table top role-playing game systems, supplements, or anything else related.
Sbaldrick

Runequest

Post by Sbaldrick » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Is there any love on this board for Runequest? I have never played it but I have played games that were based on it such as Call of Cthulhu and (I believe) Warhammer Fantasy RPG. I took part in the Kickstarter campaign for the reprint of the 2nd Edition and I will be running the Quickstart version of Runequest 7 this Saturday for Free RPG day. I was just curious if anyone on this board had an opinion on it.

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Can't say I've ever played it, but I have definitely enjoyed the other two systems you mentioned. If it's a precursor for those then it's probably quite fun. What are some of the stand out points from the ruleset? What's the setting?

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:41 pm

I played a demo game of RuneQuest 6th edition at a convention a few years back and enjoyed it. Never played it as an ongoing game so my experience with it is rather limited. I was also a KS backer for the 2nd Edition reprint but have had no time to actually delve into the book. Really enjoy percentile systems but I know of no one in this area interested in RuneQuest.

Let us know how your RuneQuest 7 demo goes, Sbaldrick.

Sbaldrick

Post by Sbaldrick » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:01 pm

The Runequest game for Free RPG day went really well. Much better than I thought it would. I had three people commit to show up and they actually showed up, including a guy that I had never met before from Meetup that turned out to be really good guy and great player. Moreover, I had talked to a young couple a few hours before the game started at another game store and they showed up and joined in as well, along with another one of their friends.
As for the system itself, I really liked it. The system has solid mechanics and I like that since combat is deadly, it can’t entered in lightly. I liked that everyone has some magic available to them and I liked the setting as well. It had a great feel to it. It is primal and alive and at the same time it isn’t quite as gritty and dark as Warhammer Fantasy RPG although both games name Chaos as the danger at the core of the universe. I will pick up the full version of Runequest 7th edition when it comes out this winter.

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:10 am

Would love to get a sampling of Runequest at Omacon-17 if you're up for it! I've of course heard the name whispered in the shadows and 'tween places, but James' positive Con-experience along with its relations to Warhammer (one of my faves) has Runequest ratcheted to the top of my games-to-try list... and just being on my list is pretty impressive to start with.
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Sbaldrick

Post by Sbaldrick » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 am

Here is a review of the Runequest 7 Quick Start Rules written by someone with more knowledge of the older editions of Runequest. I had no idea that "Passions" were something new.

https://throatpunchgames.com/2017/06/17 ... y-product/

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:43 am

Curiouser and curiouser...

Ta for the link!
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Glorath

Post by Glorath » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 pm

I have owned a few editions of Runequest over the years. I recently got the 2nd edition reprint, which is the best iteration of the game imho. It would be a great deal of fun to play. Mechanically, it is the precursor to the Call of Cthulhu RPG, and shares the same game engine.
Roll20?
"All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes."
-Tyrion Lannister

Glorath

Post by Glorath » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 am

I had the oppoertunity to play in a semi-historical Runequest game many years ago, @1984. The system was excellent in that it was detailed yet simple. I believe that the one complaint that I heard was the fact that the game is geared towards a setting in the "Bronze Age". You won't find Arthur or Lancelot ala Malory. You will find the Arthur who fought against the Romans. It is a system in the vein of Conan, Fahfrd, Grey Mouser, etc. IIRC, it was the first rpg system to consider florentine weapon use, and had a very well integrated system for magic during combat. I will be perusing my copy of the classic edition today, to refresh my memory and add commentary for anyone who is interested.
"All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes."
-Tyrion Lannister

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Glorath wrote:I will be perusing my copy of the classic edition today, to refresh my memory and add commentary for anyone who is interested.
I've not had the opportunity to play RQ in any edition, any insight into the system would be most welcome.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author