[Kickstarter] ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG

A section for showing off and promoting new or upcoming gaming products not currently available. **Posts for products which have been released will be moved to other forums.**
Cloak-n-Dagger

[Kickstarter] ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 pm

The KS for ZWEIHÄNDER is now rolling out. The game is, at its roots, a OSR retelling of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game, however, the author has noted it can be used to run any sort of dark, grim, medieval setting or style. This is a project that has been going on for 5 years and had play testers and lots of input. I plan to snag a copy for sure.
ZWEIHÄNDER is a low fantasy, percentile-based system, used to create and run adventures set in grim & perilous campaign worlds. Characters will be comprised of both strengths and flaws, beginning gameplay in one of 72 truly unique Professions. As gameplay begins, the Gamemaster will impose the peril of the wilds, heart-pumping chase scenes, social intrigue and terrifying enemies against you and your fellow adventurers. Dice are rolled to arbitrate success, failure and everything else in between. Over the course of the campaign, your Character may succumb to their injuries, go insane, fall victim to mutation, make Faustian bargains in exchange for infernal might or even worse.

Survival has a more definitive impact than simply winning battles and slaying monsters. In a way, grim & perilous gaming is more akin to a story of survival horror with dark outcomes. As Characters step beyond the threshold of sanity and emerge to the other side, they’ll gain Reward Points. Reward Points can be spent to buy new abilities within your Character’s current Profession. Continued adventure leads to dramatic new developments across three levels of play, called Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Tiers. As they move into each Tier, they’ll gain a new Profession: either by selecting one of the original 72 Professions, or graduating into one of 24 Elite Professions. Over the course of their adventures, a Character will have 3 total Professions, illustrating their descent in a grim & perilous campaign world.
Gamemasters can even use the rules to craft adventures set in a low fantasy version of the Thirty Year War, the politically-inspired intrigues of George R.R. Martin’s A Song Of Ice and Fire, the racial tensions of Andrzej Sapkowski’s The Witcher, the criminal underworld of Scott Lynch’s Lies of Locke Lamora, war-torn adventures set in Glen Cook’s The Black Company and other “grimdark”-inspired campaign settings.
zweihander.png
Kickstarter link click HERE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:43 pm

I've had this bookmarked for several years as it developed... just to keep an eye on its progress. After FFG wet the bed by turning WFRP into a hybrid card / board game I was curious as to how Zweihander would turn out. I look forward to your thoughts once you snag a copy and go over it.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:15 pm

The other day I had an itching to run some Warhammer Fantasy, for a brief bit I decided to look online and see how much it would be to recollect the books for 2nd edition. I was quickly turned off of the idea of collecting any of the books after realizing what sort of a rip off people were peddling for the out of print copies of them.

I have everything for 2e on PDF so running a game wouldn't be out of the question, but I think I would much rather get a copy of Zweihander and use that instead as long as it carries the right feel and similar mechanics.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:19 am

Recently picked up the 2nd ed Core book for Warhammer Fantasy from drivethru and started looking through it. Glad to see somone is trying to keep the spirit of that alive in their own game though.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:52 am

Welcome to the discussions, Versidious!

WFRP2e is such a GREAT game!

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:17 pm

I have PDFs of all Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying 2nd Edition books. If it weren't so expensive to have each book printed via LULU, I'd probably try and get my entire collection back in print. Since I have an iPad though, it makes it much easier to carry the entire collection around, I still have a hard copy of the core book along with the GM screen/kit.

I'd love run or play in WH again, which is why I'm planning to pick up ZwHndr. If it's as close to WH as one can get, then I'll be fine getting that and using it to run while referencing the WH stuff.

I also have Shadow of the Demon Lord, which does WH style grit pretty well, however it's a d20 system as opposed to the standard d10/percentile that WH uses.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Some updated info from the lead designer about the system:
Wounds
No more adding numbers and subtracting from a Wound pool. Instead, you reference a Damage Condition Track for Damage. If Damage is equal to or below the Damage Threshold, nothing happens. The defender is unhurt, and soldier onwards. If they exceed Damage Threshold, they move down the Damage Condition Track. And depending on total overall Damage suffered in one blow, they can move multiple steps down the Damage Track:

Unharmed
Lightly Wounded
Moderately Wounded
Seriously Wounded
Grievously Wounded
Slain!

Injuries potentially occur at these Damage Thresholds, too. So, if you suffer Damage and are Lightly Wounded, that's your freebie: no risk of Injury. But at Seriously Wounded, you roll a 1D6 Chaos Die. If it lands on face 6, you suffer a Moderate Injury (such as a broken nose, broken finger or busted teeth). For Seriously Wounded, roll 2D6 Chaos Dice. If one of them lands on a face "6", you suffer a Serious Injury (light concussion, hyperextended elbow, fracture). For Grievously Wounded, roll 3D6 Chaos Dice. If one of them lands on a face "6", you suffer a Grievous Injury (lose use of a hand until surgery, lose use of an eye until surgery, broken leg, shattered kneecap, loss of fingers and toes, etc...). Grievous Injuries are the ones that could be permanent, if surgery is unsuccessful. And naturally, Slain! (the exclamation point is intended) means your dead - spend a Fate Point if you have one!

Fatigue and Stress: like the Damage Threshold, there is a Peril Threshold. Moving down the Peril Condition Track makes you more susceptible to your Disorders (mutations, madness and addictions), and causes you to suffer penalties to your dice rolls.

Combat
ZWEI uses an Action Point system. Action Points are given at the beginning of a player's Turn and spend upon attacks, special actions, movement, perilous stunts and more. They can also be banked in order to Dodge and Parry. Our combat system is CRUNCHY enough to be more tactical than WFRP 2e out of the box, yet fast-paced and dangerous. We're going to speak more about the combat system in an update on the Kickstarter soon. Our plan is to move through each chapter during the Kickstarter phase, touching upon each of the major mechanics behind the system. Right now, we're on Chapter 3 (Character Creation). Combat is a few chapters down the line, but keep your eyes peeled!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:Some updated info from the lead designer about the system:
Wounds
No more adding numbers and subtracting from a Wound pool. Instead, you reference a Damage Condition Track for Damage. If Damage is equal to or below the Damage Threshold, nothing happens. The defender is unhurt, and soldier onwards. If they exceed Damage Threshold, they move down the Damage Condition Track. And depending on total overall Damage suffered in one blow, they can move multiple steps down the Damage Track:

Unharmed
Lightly Wounded
Moderately Wounded
Seriously Wounded
Grievously Wounded
Slain!

Injuries potentially occur at these Damage Thresholds, too. So, if you suffer Damage and are Lightly Wounded, that's your freebie: no risk of Injury. But at Seriously Wounded, you roll a 1D6 Chaos Die. If it lands on face 6, you suffer a Moderate Injury (such as a broken nose, broken finger or busted teeth). For Seriously Wounded, roll 2D6 Chaos Dice. If one of them lands on a face "6", you suffer a Serious Injury (light concussion, hyperextended elbow, fracture). For Grievously Wounded, roll 3D6 Chaos Dice. If one of them lands on a face "6", you suffer a Grievous Injury (lose use of a hand until surgery, lose use of an eye until surgery, broken leg, shattered kneecap, loss of fingers and toes, etc...). Grievous Injuries are the ones that could be permanent, if surgery is unsuccessful. And naturally, Slain! (the exclamation point is intended) means your dead - spend a Fate Point if you have one!

Fatigue and Stress: like the Damage Threshold, there is a Peril Threshold. Moving down the Peril Condition Track makes you more susceptible to your Disorders (mutations, madness and addictions), and causes you to suffer penalties to your dice rolls.

Combat
ZWEI uses an Action Point system. Action Points are given at the beginning of a player's Turn and spend upon attacks, special actions, movement, perilous stunts and more. They can also be banked in order to Dodge and Parry. Our combat system is CRUNCHY enough to be more tactical than WFRP 2e out of the box, yet fast-paced and dangerous. We're going to speak more about the combat system in an update on the Kickstarter soon. Our plan is to move through each chapter during the Kickstarter phase, touching upon each of the major mechanics behind the system. Right now, we're on Chapter 3 (Character Creation). Combat is a few chapters down the line, but keep your eyes peeled!
Emphasis mine.
The injury levels remind me of Ars Magica and World of Darkness games.
I'm a wee skeptical about the combat system being crunchy yet fast-paced. I've never played a crunchy system that was fast-paced. Some examples include Rolemaster, HarnMaster, Phoenix Command, Metal Magic & Lore...

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:32 pm

BTW, just an update, this ended a short while back, I'm expecting the PDF soon and the hardcopy should be delivered sometime in November.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Cool! Just in time for the holidays.