[Kickstarter] This Defiant Earth 1950s RPG

A section for showing off and promoting new or upcoming gaming products not currently available. **Posts for products which have been released will be moved to other forums.**
Cloak-n-Dagger

[Kickstarter] This Defiant Earth 1950s RPG

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Pledged a new RPG on Kickstarter today. I lervs me some 1950s b/w monster flicks. One of my most fond memories growing up was watching the 1954 movie THEM! with my dad; absolutely loved it. Seeing a new RPG on KS with just this sort of theme is a no brainer.
THIS DEFIANT EARTH is a roleplaying game set in a universe inspired by the popular imagination of the 1950s: an Atomic Age dreamscape as envisioned by television, cheap paperback novels, comic books, and above all, movies. In this world, the American Dream is alive and well, but threatened by monsters from the deep recesses of the Earth, alien flying saucers, and sinister foreign agents pledged to destabilize the American way of life with super-advanced technology. Players take on the roles of America's noble defenders in these thrilling but dangerous times! It's up to you, dear reader, to stop the horde of gargantuan ants before they establish a colony in the heart of New York City. It's up to you to thwart the sinister plans of Kro-Gar, the conqueror from space. You will test-pilot rockets, fight monsters, challenge unknown landscapes, and make the world safe for freedom and democracy. You will stand a champion of…THIS DEFIANT EARTH!
Kickstarter: This Defiant Earth
31159081091066ebdd2166b65f078bb5_original.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:40 pm

You just know the blob will be in there somewhere!

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Indeed, and if not then by gawd I'll make it up.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Received and update from Kickstarter on this RPG today. Had a cool excerpt from the work being done:
3709d212c4c9c8c24700177e1bff89b9_original.jpg
(Editor’s Note: What follows is an article by renowned physicist and rocketry expert Dr. Quentin Bernard, formerly affiliated with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Caltech. Despite Dr. Bernard’s credentials and reputation, this article was rejected by every peer-reviewed scientific journal. His warnings unpublished and unheeded by the scientific community, Dr. Bernard has since vanished into an unexplored region of the Congo along with several compatriots from other fields and scientific disciplines.)

The world as we know it is changing, metamorphosing into a strange, surreal landscape of a like previously envisioned only in speculative fictions. While authorities maintain that all is well and force the media to collude in this pretense, the observations of those few in the scientific community who are paying attention tell a wholly different tale. Man—that most dreadfully industrious of creatures—has transformed his world, altering the Earth in ways that must be monitored, evaluated, and ultimately reversed if humanity is to survive into the next century. Our breakthroughs in atomic weapons research coupled with our budding spaceflight programs have attracted the attentions of intelligences not native to this humble sphere. The radiation with which we’ve saturated our environment has given birth to monsters not seen on earth since the Biblical Leviathan, and like that great beast, these terrors know no terrestrial equal, and as such, no fear. Man’s industry has made him an endangered species on a planet he once ruled, but shall not rule for much longer.

It was a mere two years ago when I, then guest-lecturing at Hargrove University, first encountered the nightmares awaiting humanity amid the stars. There, in the sedate American hill country, crashed three space vehicles. These chariots of the gods—for how else can we describe the vessels of an intelligence so advanced as to traverse interstellar distances?—bore with them not the weapons of military conquest, but a horrible contagion: an aggressive, almost intelligent fungus, the spread of which was stopped only through sheer good fortune and the courage of a group of disparate individuals I have since come to call my friends. I found the event transformative, and the realizations that dawned on me that night have since guided my research and my travels. Yet the conclusions I have drawn from my many adventures these past two years, even when supported by the testimony other scholars and renowned professionals, go ignored by a world blind to the peril it faces.

Since the Hargrove incident I have encountered three other spacefaring races, each with dire plans for Earth and humankind, yet I have been unable to convince authorities that these beings are among us. Even after the flying saucer attack on Hollywood this past Summer, authorities have actively resisted the dissemination of such facts.

More terrifying still is this: the stars are not alone in breeding threats to human existence. The Earth itself has birthed nightmarish creatures, some ancient and primordial; others, mutations of biology ravaged by nuclear radiation. I have witnessed first-hand an attack on the coastal Japanese city of Nagoya by a colossal aquatic reptile, only to see the destruction wrought by this monster dismissed as the result of a mere typhoon. I have seen the caverns of the Earth belch forth primitive subterranean bipeds with a hunger for human flesh. I have encountered giant carnivorous plants with the ability to uproot themselves and translocate when food sources become scarce. Yes, there are horrors in our midst, but despite the valiant efforts of a few souls who know the truth, the world has chosen to denounce these horrors as the products of fevered imaginations.

We must be smarter than this. We must not be content with putting our heads in the proverbial sand. What foolishness, to preserve the status quo and willfully refuse to prepare to face a world, no, a galaxy that bears us immeasurable malice!

Look to the skies, the seas, the ground beneath our very feet, for it is from any direction that our doom may come. And when it does—not if, but when—may the gods take mercy on their errant children.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:26 pm

That's a great picture! I enjoyed the text, too. Typical hoomanity burying its collective head in the sand. haha!