WFRP is dead! Long live Warhammer Fantasy RP (4E)!!

A section for showing off and promoting new or upcoming gaming products not currently available. **Posts for products which have been released will be moved to other forums.**
Cloak-n-Dagger

WFRP is dead! Long live Warhammer Fantasy RP (4E)!!

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:39 pm

So, news has broken recently that Games Workshop is currently in the process of concluding a deal with a major European publisher for world-wide distribution rights to Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. Many had speculated it was Modiphius, who is putting out the new Conan and soon to be John Carter RPGs, however it's been determined now that the licensee is in fact, Cubicle 7, responsible for publishing systems like The One Ring, World War Cthulhu, Yggdrasill, and Dr. Who.

This would be Warhammer Fantasy RP's 4th Edition if/when it comes out. There is still a lot of unknowns right now since Games Workshop has adjusted the timeline for Warhammer Fantasy (the tabletop miniatures game) which ended the Old World and moved things into the Age of Sigmar. Everything I've seen for AoS looks more like Warhammer 40k with a coat of Warhammer Fantasy slapped on. Needless to say, it's not what I consider WFRP so if in fact, GW is allowing C7 to publish a new WFRP only in that timeline, I can say for certain I won't be picking it up.

However, if C7 is able to and decides to take WFRP back to it's roots via 1e or 2e, then I'm confident they could put out an edition on par with or that could possibly rival 2nd edition. If that is the case, then I will definitely be picking up whatever comes out for it.

In the end, regardless of whether it flies or falls, at least I'll still have Zweihander to fall back on or use if need be.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:28 am

Yeah, Fantasy going to Age of Sigmar more or less turned the game a to more skirmish-y type, and did things to the setting. Will certainly be interesting to see if they do the 40k line too.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Warhammer FANTASY for me all the way! I don't want hybrid board games with tension trackers and cards to replace things like, y'know, people actually roleplaying and I don't want space marines and powered armor and chain swords in my fantasy settings & games. With that being said, Cubicle 7 has put out some high quality materials so hopefully the license from Games Workshop won't screw the pooch with what they're allowed to do.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:08 am

Cubicle 7 has just announced news about the upcoming 4th Edition, today.
Cubicle 7 wrote:We’ve been hard at work on the new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and this week we’re going to be sharing the first big slices of news with you!

Release Date
There has been an amazing amount of excitement around Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition – we’re at the beginning of the journey but it’s already been a tremendous project thanks to the energy and enthusiasm of all the Warhammer fans we’ve been talking to since the project was announced. Thanks to you all for being awesome, and thanks for your patience waiting for news!

Design lead Dominic McDowall is on hand to tell us about the game’s development:

“The initial plan was to make some small updates to the awesome second edition, and that would mean we would be able to release the game in 2017. We’re all huge fans of the first and second editions of WFRP, and we wanted to take the game back to those roots.

“When I got into the guts of the game I started seeing more opportunities to add in some of the things we’ve learned over the years. This more creative direction meant a longer development phase. Games Workshop are extremely supportive of us taking the time we need to make WFRP Fourth Edition the very best game it can be, and so that’s what we did. I’m very excited about the way things have come together!

“The release of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition will be set for mid-2018, with a specific date to be set in a few months. Thank you for your patience while we invest the time to make the best game we can.”

We have some exciting events planned around the release date, so stay tuned for the latest new on those!

New covers for the first released products:
A464A672-DF0E-4108-A60D-3306DE63C6D2.jpeg
22BA3B5D-2CCE-4EFA-89EB-147F357597AB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Fuckin' eh, Jay! Way to keep your finger on the pulse, man! Guid on ya.
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Deil the Yin wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:41 pm
Fuckin' eh, Jay! Way to keep your finger on the pulse, man! Guid on ya.
What he said. ;)

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:26 pm

More WFRP news from Cubicle 7
We’ve been working on bringing more of WFRP First Edition to PDF. We all love First Edition, and there’s just so much brilliant material that we want to make available in electronic format. The “colour plates” version of the WFRP 1st Edition core rulebook will go on sale this week!

Just like we did for the Hogshead Edition offered as part of the Humble Bundle, we’ve made a very crisp, clean, fully bookmarked PDF. It’s been a joy to revisit the game where our core team began their adventuring careers!

Fourth Edition design lead Dominic McDowall said, “WFRP First Edition was my first ever roleplaying game. Everyone working on the new edition has a deep well of affection for First Edition, and it’s great to be bringing it back!

“But we’re not stopping there. We’re creating some beautiful PDFs of the original WFRP super-campaign: the Enemy Within. Keep an eye on our newsletter, website and social media for more news!”
The Enemy Within – Director’s Cut
This brings us neatly round to yet another exciting piece of news. To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of The Enemy Within Campaign we’re going to be releasing an updated deluxe, “Directors Cut” edition of The Enemy Within Campaign for Fourth Edition!

The mighty Graeme Davis has joined the team to steer this ship (or should that be river barge?). The Enemy Within was one of the best-loved RPG campaigns ever made, and we want to give the shiny new anniversary edition it deserves!
I will definitely be picking up the new director's cut of TEW.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:26 pm
More WFRP news from Cubicle 7
We’ve been working on bringing more of WFRP First Edition to PDF. We all love First Edition, and there’s just so much brilliant material that we want to make available in electronic format. The “colour plates” version of the WFRP 1st Edition core rulebook will go on sale this week!

Just like we did for the Hogshead Edition offered as part of the Humble Bundle, we’ve made a very crisp, clean, fully bookmarked PDF. It’s been a joy to revisit the game where our core team began their adventuring careers!

Fourth Edition design lead Dominic McDowall said, “WFRP First Edition was my first ever roleplaying game. Everyone working on the new edition has a deep well of affection for First Edition, and it’s great to be bringing it back!

“But we’re not stopping there. We’re creating some beautiful PDFs of the original WFRP super-campaign: the Enemy Within. Keep an eye on our newsletter, website and social media for more news!”
The Enemy Within – Director’s Cut
This brings us neatly round to yet another exciting piece of news. To celebrate the 30th Anniversary of The Enemy Within Campaign we’re going to be releasing an updated deluxe, “Directors Cut” edition of The Enemy Within Campaign for Fourth Edition!

The mighty Graeme Davis has joined the team to steer this ship (or should that be river barge?). The Enemy Within was one of the best-loved RPG campaigns ever made, and we want to give the shiny new anniversary edition it deserves!
I will definitely be picking up the new director's cut of TEW.
Emphasis mine.
I will pick up this bit of gaming goodness and run it for a group somewhere!