Coeur de Lion

A place for DMs, GMs, or players to post stories, play reports, or general info about their current or ongoing campaigns.
Ancalagon

Coeur de Lion

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Coeur de Lion is my labor of love, very much still a work in progress. It is, and will be, my campaign setting based in Plantagenet England (Scotland and Wales, too).

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to decide on a game system for the setting. For a while I thought I'd go with AD&D, or B/X, or C&C, or Beyond the Wall, or AS&SH, or Lamentations of the Flame Princess, or Crypts & Things, or WFRP2e, or even Renaissance Deluxe. But while there there are things about each of those systems I like, there are things in each that bug me enough to say its just not the right fit and/or things that do not belong in the setting I envision.

So I started thinking about taking pieces I like from each of the systems mentioned above (and some not mentioned!), adding some ideas of my own, and creating my own hybrid system for the setting. This notion, while more labor intensive than a simple "house rules" document bolted onto one of the aforementioned systems, is where I am now. The system will be recognizable as OSR-based with things modified to suit my tastes. If it works out the way I hope, I'd like to demo this with my local group, run it at a convention, or spend a day during an OmaCon / JaxCon / MaCon / etc. running it for the long term gamer buddies.

I'll work on writing up my hybrid system as time permits while also writing up things for the setting. Once I'm satisfied with both, I plan to create a Players Pack containing things players would need to know about the system and things about the setting to be able to hopefully get a feel for Plantagenet England. I've NO IDEA when that will come together so all I can say is stay tuned for occasional updates.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm

In Basic D&D a character dies when it is reduced to 0 HPs. In AD&D death typically occurs at -10. I've decided to work up something somewhere in between that will be based on the CON stat. I call it "Death's Door."

Since CON is the measure of a character’s health, vitality, and toughness, it should also influence how long a critically injured character can hang on before passing through death's door. The value of the CON stat will have corresponding negative hit point threshold which, if surpassed, will result in death. As you'll see, sickly and puny characters will expire before hardier types.

CON value Death's Door
3-4................ -2
5-6................ -3
7-8................ -4
9-11.............. -5
12................. -6
13-14............ -7
15-16............ -8
17-18............ -9

The death's door concept for CON, along with others for the various attributes, will help make placement of generated values (die rolls - no point buying) into the six attributes worth a little more consideration. ;)

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:31 am

That's pretty good and makes sense, I could see using something like that. My preference, as much as I hate to admit it, is somewhat stolen from some of the later editions. I like the idea of having a player roll a Saving Throw after they reach zero HPs. A 'save vs death' is easy enough to roll and if you fail, then that's it, game over. If you succeed then your character holds on another round, giving the opportunity of someone getting to the character and providing healing. On the off chance that the player rolls a nat 20, the character stabilizes and the player rolls again and gains 1d4 hps back.

Since HPs are considered an abstraction of multiple things like health, luck, etc. I think it's fair that PCs on deaths door have that rare chance to gain some back.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 am

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:That's pretty good and makes sense, I could see using something like that.
Thanks!
Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:My preference, as much as I hate to admit it, is somewhat stolen from some of the later editions.
Nothing wrong with that. No game system (except maybe FATAL ;) ) is 100% bad. Even 4ron had one thing I liked. :lol:
Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:I like the idea of having a player roll a Saving Throw after they reach zero HPs. A 'save vs death' is easy enough to roll and if you fail, then that's it, game over. If you succeed then your character holds on another round, giving the opportunity of someone getting to the character and providing healing. On the off chance that the player rolls a nat 20, the character stabilizes and the player rolls again and gains 1d4 hps back.

Since HPs are considered an abstraction of multiple things like health, luck, etc. I think it's fair that PCs on deaths door have that rare chance to gain some back.
Hmmm. Haven't considered having a PC in the negative HP range regaining a handful of HPs in that fashion. I like it for 0 HPs. I was thinking about stabilization in the negative range so that help can arrive. I have an idea about characters stabilizing while in the negatives that I'll post in the future.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Maybe have them regain one temp HP, just enough for them to regain consciousness and that lasts for a number of rounds equal to their CON bonus or something then when time is up, the collapse back to stabilized unconsciousness.

There's a number of ways to work it which could make for interesting play.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Maybe just DM fiat... fast and loose based on the situation without extra crunch.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:41 pm

Haha, or maybe just, "Ok, you hit zero, you die."

Doesn't get much faster than that. :twisted:

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Silly me for over thinking things. Heh.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:17 am

The attributes (CHA, CON, DEX, INT, STR & WIS) will be determined by rolling 3d6 six times and assigning as desired.

I'm using a goodly amount of AS&SH, some AD&D, and a few tweaks of my own for the modifiers. I like the Test of CON and Test of DEX ideas in AS&SH - straightforward with a classic feel of using a d6 to resolve.

I'm toying with the idea that on a one time basis, one attribute may be raised one point by reducing another attribute by two points. No attribute can be raised above 17 or lowered below 9 in this fashion. I want 18s to be exceptional, granted only through the good fortune of the dice as per AS&SH, and to prevent CHA, already a dump stat by some players, from being abused further.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 pm

That's sounds reasonable. I used to allow similar boosts back in the day running 2nd edition, especially the +1, -2 to stats, but lately in this day and age where it's not only encouraged but pretty much expected that characters will have at least one high stat and the majority of the rest being above average, even the idea of using a controlled boost method leaves a sour taste in my mouth. As a player, I would probably roll and take what the dice give.