Works in Progress and Paint Studio

A forum for non-RPG tabletop games and hobbies.
Versidious

Works in Progress and Paint Studio

Post by Versidious » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:05 pm

I've decided to start documenting the figures I paint, figured there might be some interest in seeing them go from metal/plastic/resin to full color.

My current setup is mostly just a table with a magnifying light attached. I tend to use the Citadel line of paints from the Gee-Dubs because I like how the pots are designed and there's a variety of shades. Brushes vary from Wally World Specials to nicer fine detail brushes.
Desk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:14 pm

The current subject is Weyland, Servant of Mysteries. As a Cleric of Mystra (and according to my instructions sheet) he will mostly have a blue color scheme.

Currently he is primed and ready for painting.
Weyland #1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:23 pm

The outside of the cloak and the shield detail is now done. The detail is done by painting the background of the shield first, then the details, then cleaning up the nicks that stray onto the shield. The blue will be darkened in a later step with a blue glaze over it to make it deeper blue as well as a wash to give depth.
Weyland #2.jpg

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Cool thread, Versidious! Looking forward to more pics. 8-)

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Very cool thread. I'm a fan of miniature painting, even though I don't do it myself, as much as I'd like.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:Very cool thread. I'm a fan of miniature painting, even though I don't do it myself, as much as I'd like.
I smell what yer cookin'. I've not painted a mini in years. Its something I'd like to try my hand again one of these years.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:46 am

Thanks for the comments, feels less like posting into a void, haha. A quick update before I turn in.

Weyland now has a basecoat of powder blue applied to the plate armour and his gloves. It's a rough application using thin layers, nicks can be easily touched up on both the cloak and other portions. I'm planning on trimming the cuisses on the thighs with silver and red much like the detail on the shield. As before, the lower areas are painted first to make overruns easier to clean up. It is much easier to highlight a raised area over a painted lower area than to fill in a lower area around a painted raised area.

The chainmail will be a gunmetal type silver to differentiate from the trim.
Weyland #3.jpg

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:30 am

Excellent posts, sir! Definitely got me thinking about dusting the cobwebs off my unfinished minis and brushes etc... It's been ages- I think the last time I got down to painting a mini was with James when he was still in Valdosta (just). Never used GW paints before (Ral Partha has always been my fave), but think I might give them a try, especially since they are readily available from my local game shop.

Was gonna mention one technique I like to use- don't know if you've tried it before: priming with black or filling all the nooks and crannies with black to further highlight the depth of the sculpting and generally give a higher contrast for greater dynamic finish etc.

At any rate... can't wait to see the finished product! Guid on ye!

Cheers,
Wesley
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Deil the Yin wrote:Excellent posts, sir! Definitely got me thinking about dusting the cobwebs off my unfinished minis and brushes etc... It's been ages- I think the last time I got down to painting a mini was with James when he was still in Valdosta (just).
Now that was a while back! I moved away from Valdookieville in March of 2008.
Deil the Yin wrote:Never used GW paints before (Ral Partha has always been my fave), but think I might give them a try, especially since they are readily available from my local game shop.

Was gonna mention one technique I like to use- don't know if you've tried it before: priming with black or filling all the nooks and crannies with black to further highlight the depth of the sculpting and generally give a higher contrast for greater dynamic finish etc.
I mostly primed with gray... but using some black as you described is a very kewl idea. *files away the idea*
Deil the Yin wrote:At any rate... can't wait to see the finished product! Guid on ye!

Cheers,
Wesley
Indeed!

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:39 am

So how's the progress coming along?
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author