Works in Progress and Paint Studio

A forum for non-RPG tabletop games and hobbies.
Ancalagon

Re: Works in Progress and Paint Studio

Post by Ancalagon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:So how's the progress coming along?
What he said.

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Love this thread! I haven't been able to paint since I moved to Houston. I mispacked my brushes into a box somewhere and haven't found them despite looking for them quite a bit. I've got several mini's primed and waiting for attention :( I'll probably give up and buy new brushes eventually, but I've got another move coming up after the new year. I'm hoping I'll find my brushes then.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:21 am

Due to following the Election closely, getting ready to go camping, going camping, recovering from camping, reading about three RPG books among another book or two, and just plain forgetting to post progress despite taking pics, I finally got to a point where I could do a massive update.

At this point, the boots, pants, detail on the cuisses, The Mace of Face Bringing, the brooch on the cloak, and the shield have been filled in. The rings on the chainmail will be a lot more visible in later steps.
Weyland #4.jpg
Things like this make me have to get a little creative with the colors, as they only come in so many shades. White is added to a flesh color here.
Weyland #5.jpg
This will do.
Weyland #6.jpg
Cont.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:31 am

Here's where some of the harder bits begin. Faces take a lot of work and patience with maybe a do-over or two. At this point, Weyland may as well be the Phantom of the Opera or the Elephant Man.
Weyland #7.jpg
At least he now has a wig on and some beard to cover up what can only nominally be called a face at this point.
Weyland #8.jpg
Eyes are very much an exercise in correction rather than straight perfection. The white can leak into the face, or the pupil into the white. It's up to corrections to overwrite these with the color that should be there. Eyes- Not for the faint hearted or shaky hands. (Barring lots of work.)
Weyland #9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:41 am

Eyes have now been filled in with a nice sky blue. He kinda has a "I've Seen Some Shit" look, this is toned down later.
Weyland #10.jpg
Since adventuring (Read: Being a Murder-Hobo) is dirty work and almost always outdoors until it's time to go into a gods forsaken dungeon for reasons only known to them, I like to make character's bases a nice dirty field. I start with a dirt color.
Weyland #11.jpg
I then go over it with a green grass like color, for undergrowth and base color for the texture. I also muddy the boots and cloaks, as they would be the first casualties to this ever rampant filth.
Weyland #12.jpg

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:51 am

About that texture paint.... Attempts to resuscitate have been a failure. Citadel paints are good, but sometimes I have one inexplicably dry out and it's a bit frustrating.
Weyland #13.jpg
Necessity is the mother of invention. Twine glued on one side, then fluffed up makes a nice savanna grass.
Weyland #14.jpg
And now a message from our sponsors.
Look at this paint pot. It's a Wash! One of a painter's best friends, this handy little thing will fill in all those recesses and darken/dirty as well as act as an overcoat. We'll see how the figure reacts in the next post.
Weyland #15.jpg

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:16 am

Having applied the wash, we can see that the chainmail has the details filled in, the grass and mud at the bottom has attained it's proper dark color, the contours of the cloak are more visible, and Weyland's eyes are actually in his head as opposed to popping out, and his face is now properly dirtied, but still noticeably pale. (Not Pictured: The face being done again because I went too hard on the wash in that location at first.)
Weyland #16.jpg
Here is the detail of the shield again. It looks a little more worn and weathered, but still shines forth.
Weyland #17.jpg
A final clear coat of matte sealer is applied to help the paint withstand normal handling. Throughout the painting process, edges can become silver again due to fingers gripping and rotating the figure, requiring touchups. I apply several quick mistings of Armory Clear Matte Sealer. (The one with the Dork Tower characters on it.) As you can see, the actual colors aren't changed after application.
Weyland #18.jpg
Weyland is now ready to go forth into the world to bring the word of Mystra to those poor heathens. Mystra help their faces, as his mace won't.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:45 pm

Most excellent, good sir!

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:09 pm

That is a freaking AWESOME post, man! Cheers for that!
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:47 pm

So, Versidious, what's next on the agenda?