Works in Progress and Paint Studio

A forum for non-RPG tabletop games and hobbies.
Versidious

Re: Works in Progress and Paint Studio

Post by Versidious » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:05 pm

I'm unable to get a picture at the moment, but I'm calling him Castus, The Eternal Centurion. He's a skeleton with a large sword, roman type round shield, chain, a large cloak, and a helmet. I'll be able to show how I do rust and probably pinning since his arm is separate. I'll start working on him tomorrow as I'm probably going to start running an online game (Only War) soon and am reading rules tonight.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:24 pm

Awesome! Sound cool, definitely post how things go.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:39 pm

Got a bonus for you guys. This is a Skinless Man that our very own Ancalagon would throw at the group like rice at a wedding. I went for a "fresh" look.

They were basically crazed undead made by flaying people alive. Horrible paralysis chances with each attack, at three per Man per round. They were nasty.

I like the grey base as opposed to black or white like someone mentioned before in the thread because you can use it for light or dark colors. Anything light on the black or dark on the white just takes so many layers to build up that even thinned paints become thick.
Skinless Man #1.jpg
I used a paint called "Blood For The Blood God" for this guy. It's a more technical one from GW that's used for blood spatter and the like on weapons or whatever. I added a bit of water to make it a bit more like a glaze and hit all his skin over a base of light pink. Some got on the base when I was doing the figure. It wasn't intended but it was nice looking and logical because a fresh Man would be dripping, so it stayed. The green around the claws and mouth are the paralyzing ichor that they use.
Skinless Man #2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:35 pm

Got delayed again on Castus, this time with a commission. Another player in the group needed a mini for his character, Zashir, The "Honest" Merchant. Ancalagon was gracious enough to give him the idea of following in the footsteps of the the 6th Doctor and be a technicolor nightmare.

My Reference:
sixth-doctor.jpg
My internal reaction:
Reaction.jpg
And this is the subject. He's got a lot of area for attention grabbing discord.
Zashir #1.jpg
(Note: That's his pointer finger, not his Friendship Finger.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:43 pm

So, I started with the pants. A bright yellow. The tops of the boots are a nice purple and the boots a lovely gaudy red. I tried to start early with darker colors being barriers to brighter ones to make both of them pop out instead of blending.
Zashir #2.jpg
A lovely lime green belt and a plaid style undershirt make a nice mix. Plaid is pretty hard to do on these small areas, the lines look good in person, but are a little out of scale with the figure. It still gets the effect though.
Zashir #3.jpg
The name of this paint is completely accurate for this figure.
Zashir #4.jpg

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:37 pm

The pants are striped much like the good Doctor's, pink with white polka dots, a gaudy orange, and the cloak clasps are turned white and gold.
Zashir #5.jpg

The gloves recieve the stripe treatment to be in line with the cuffs matching the pants.
Zashir #6.jpg
The cloak is being segmented into four parts and will have different patterns. Notice the knife behind the back. As I work on it, the borders will be clearer.
Zashir #7.jpg

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:25 am

Here we see the patterns on the back laid out. I gave each quadrant it's own pattern.
Zashir #8.jpg
For the inside of the coat, I thought a "starry sky" motif would look nice. So I did it. For having instructions of "Technicolor Horror", I was given a lot of latitude on how exactly I did it.
Zashir #9.jpg
This has been one of the harder figures, if only because of all the different clashing pattern types and colors used.

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:37 am

A short time skip later, we have the finished figure with skin tone, washes, other finishing touches and sealant applied.
Zashir #10.jpg
The final backside of the cloak.
Zashir #11.jpg
I actually applied about 3-4 different washes, depending on the color of the area. a yellow for the yellow areas, black for general fill, flesh shade for skin, and a bit of purple as well.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:57 pm

The "Honest" Merchant should attract the eyes of many potential customers with his outfit - nicely done, Versidious!

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:56 pm

That's cool mini sculpt and I dig the color scheme. Pretty awesome dude.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author