Hammer of the Scots

A forum for non-RPG tabletop games and hobbies.
Ancalagon

Hammer of the Scots

Post by Ancalagon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Versidious and I got together this afternoon and broke open my Hammer of the Scots board game I picked up at Gen Con back in 2014. We prepped all the blocks with the stickers and started reading through the rules. We rolled a few dice to simulate a combat between two noble factions and decided this would be a fun game to play but would require more time than what was available. I'd like to give the game a full on try and see how it plays out.

Here are the rules of the game: http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/ ... rrules.pdf

Here is a short video explaining the jist of the game:

Versidious

Post by Versidious » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:07 pm

It's definitely a full afternoon game, with all the steps and resolutions. It'll be nice to see how it plays out.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Very nice, I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Speaking of long lasting games, I have my copy of War of the Ring I would love to break out and play some time, that one would take a while, but I think would be tons of fun.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Sounds like OmaCon fodder to me!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 am

The one drawback to Hammer of the Scots is that it is a game for only two players, unlike the mass fun of Kingmaker which accommodates several more people.

Deil the Yin

Post by Deil the Yin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:16 am

Aaaah, yeah! Yorkshire pudding is ON the menu...

Ancalagon wrote:The one drawback to Hammer of the Scots is that it is a game for only two players, unlike the mass fun of Kingmaker which accommodates several more people.
Here's Tae Us,
Wha's Like Us,
Damn few... an' they're a' DEID!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Deil the Yin wrote:Aaaah, yeah! Yorkshire pudding is ON the menu...

Ancalagon wrote:The one drawback to Hammer of the Scots is that it is a game for only two players, unlike the mass fun of Kingmaker which accommodates several more people.
Haven't played me some KingMaker in several years. Wouldn't mind doing so again one of these days... kilted... with some haggis and crackers... and good single malt... just sayin'.