Halloween Fun: Dead By Daylight (for PC)

For discussion of electronic games, apps, programs, or similar interests.
Cloak-n-Dagger

Halloween Fun: Dead By Daylight (for PC)

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:22 am

It's Halloween and Steam, the online seller of PC games, is having a holiday sale. I picked up a game that's been out for over a year now, but this is the first time I've even considered picking it up since it was on sale 50% off.

Dead By Daylight is a multiplayer game in which four players take on the role of survivors and one player is the hunter/killer/monster/slasher hunting down the four players to sacrifice to something only known as The Entity. Most online games of this nature are first person shooters like Call of Duty or Battlefield, where players fight one another. In DBD, you can't actually fight the killers, you can only run, hide, and occasionally knock something over in their way when they are chasing you, in order to block their path or give yourself extras time to hide or get away.

If a killer catches you and manages to do enough damage to knock you down, they can pick you up and carry you to the nearest meat hook where they toss you on. While you're dangling, you can attempt to get yourself off, but with only a very minor chance of success, wait for another player to lift you off, or succumb to being a sacrifice to The Entity (game over man, game over!).

Each killer has a different style and different abilities with which to attack or harm the survivors. For example, the Leatherface slasher has the chainsaw which can take a player from full health to dying in one blow and can swing it around in a circle hitting multiple players in close proximity. The Freddy Kruger character is invisible to start, can pull players into the "dream world" and is faster and much more deadly in the "dream world". The Mad Doctor uses electro-shock to drive players mad, causing them to make a madness check with failure leading to them screaming and giving away their location to everyone in the map. There are a wide variety of hunters/killers/slashers to choose from if you don't want to be a survivor.

Survivors have the opportunity to level up and gain access to new perks (special abilities like Light Footed, which lets a player run and leave less of a trace) and items (like Med Kits for healing and Toolboxes for repairing and sabotaging). Players can't attack outright, but they can hinder the enemy by sabotaging the sacrificial hooks and destroying hex totems.

The core premise of each session is that the survivors are trying to repair five generators throughout the map, once the generators are running, then they can move to the exit and open these big doors. Running out the doors wins the game for the survivor players. The killer is trying to sacrifice the survivors to the The Entity and does their best to bring them all down.

There are a lot of little details here and there that make the game, really a lot of fun. It's rated M for Mature for obvious reasons. I bought it on sale for $10 which imo is worth it. The full retail prince of $20 isn't bad, but I don't know if I'd be persuaded to pay that.
header.jpg
The_Huntress_Teaser6.jpg
Dead-By-Daylight.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author