ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery)

For discussion of electronic games, apps, programs, or similar interests.
Cloak-n-Dagger

ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery)

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:29 pm

I recently ran across this long running "roguelike" game and since it was free to download and play, thought I would give it a try. It's low graphic quality so it should run on older or PCs not built for "gaming".

If you're not familiar with what a "roguelike" game is, here's the gist of it:
Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player-character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.
So in a sense, it's kind of like playing D&D but without dealing with a lot of extra crap. Playing is simple movement through arrow or number keys, pressing a button to do something in game like enter a dungeon, shoot a missile weapon, drink a potion, look at character stats and inventory, etc. No game controller or anything required. The other side to it is the perma-death. When you die, you DIE and have to start over with a new character. IMO this is what make roguelike games so much fun, the idea that at any time you could bite it, and just like in D&D have to start all over again.

Now as for ADOM, here's a some cool info about this particular RL game:
background.png
Experience 1994 game design philosophy at its finest. Oh sure, you can save your game and come back to it anytime... but once you die, that's it. End of the line, saves are gone, re-roll character.

Winning a game in this mode is something to tell your grandchildren about.
adom.PNG
Best of all it's free, you can download the game directly from the ADOM website: HERE

It's a great game with which to pass the time when you absolutely have nothing else going on or just scratch that fantasy adventure itch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Love the idea in a video game that dead is dead. Mwah-hah-haaah!!

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:05 am

Iron-man modes and perma-death have been making a comeback in video games lately. Often as an optional difficulty setting, but having the option is better than not at all. Perma-death was a big feature in the latest XCOM titles. You don't have to start the whole game over, but you had to start training up a rookie soldier from nothing when your experienced assault commando bought it in an ambush. Thing is the game continues to get harder no matter how inexperienced your soldiers are. Sometimes you were forced to send the new guy on a suicide mission to succeed. Occasionally he lived and joined the ranks of the experienced :)

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:50 pm

I'm definitely a fan of perma-death or really hard games (ie. Dark Souls, etc.). I get the most joy out of using the old noodle to figure out what I need to do to continue the game or try not to die in one where it's starts you over. Lately I've been looking into more survival based games like The Forest and Don't Starve. Been thinking about picking up ARK, but not pulled the trigger on it yet.
“A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints” ~ Wilfred Peterson, American Author

Captain_Blood

Post by Captain_Blood » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:38 am

Get Far Cry Primal instead of Ark. You'll thank me.

Cloak-n-Dagger

Post by Cloak-n-Dagger » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:05 pm

Captain_Blood wrote:Get Far Cry Primal instead of Ark. You'll thank me.
Noted, I'll check it out.